jetsetgreen

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Big Explosion sound

While Ricky was pumping gas into our car outside in the pouring rain last night I pulled out my phone and began to dial Jenaper's phone number.  What better time than a solitary 10 minutes in the car to reconnect with my own hermana while Ricky washed the entire car with the free window washer.  Yes, the ENTIRE car.  Silly, I know.  But three numbers into the dial I hurriedly aborted the phone call and stuffed my phone back into my bag so I didn't blow up. 
 Is anyone else afraid of blowing up at the gas station?  I'm afraid the slightest spark or wrong cough or even worse cell phone waves, could ignite my car, myself and the whole station.  There is no coming back from that.  A number of years back I remember hearing on the news that phones were dangerous to use at the gas pump and some girl in South Jordan or somewhere fake like that was using her phone and the car caught fire and blew up.  Somehow she survived but it really freaked me out.  And then my BF Mo told me the same thing shortly thereafter and her dad a real life firefighter told her the same thing.  It's a wonder we are all still using cell phones after knowing they are giving us brain cancer and could cause spontaneous combustion (must like pistachios when packed too tightly can catch fire).  Freaky.  And with friday the 13th coming up it's all just a little too eery.  I know that I have somewhat irrational fears sometimes but this is rational, I'm sure of it.  Is anyone else scared of blowing up at the gas station?  It's like one minute your drinking orange mocha frappuccinos and having a gas fight and the next you are a pile of hot carbon ashes.  


And if I find out you are talking to me on the phone while at the gas station I WILL hang up on you - but it's for your own good.

7 comments:

Whits said...

I'm pretty sure the cell phone sets off an explosion only if there is static electricity. When its pouring rain, you're totally fine. Growing up in northern CA and Seattle, we never got warnings about blowing up while pumping gas, I only learned about this when living in UT. So AZ is probably as dry as UT and still need to be careful but no worries if its raining. So no need to be worried!

rich said...

Umm... washing the entire car using a gas station windshield wiper/sponge thing was a stroke of genius.

tara said...

I've never heard of that and it doesn't concern me at all, as talking while driving is now illegal here. Not like it's illegal to talk at a gas station, but what's the point?

Marge Bjork said...

I am not afraid of blowing up at a gas station. However, I did this report on mysterious disappearances when I was in 9th grade and I read all these books about how there are different dimensions that people can spontaneously disappear into. I was afraid of stepping into a different dimension for weeks.
I am also afraid of demons in mirrors and OJ Simpson murdering me.
And chalk. I am afraid of chalk.

Anonymous said...

Your husband is so awesome! I did that very same thing years and years ago only I got yelled at by one of the gas station attendants. Why the guy cared I was doing that is beyond me, but I was laughing too hard to care. Rich is so awesome.

irene said...

Lisha! I am so afraid of this. Just yesterday i was at a gas station and someone started talking on their phone while pumping gas and I fREAKED OUT. and I told them that i had seen video where a girl who was wearing a really fuzzy sweater just burst into flames while talking on her phone. I am trying to look for it on youtube but my internet is being a douche. So my point is, I am also afraid of this. And i have washed a lot of my car with gas station windshield cleaner.

fotohok said...

yeah, it's just sparks that does it. the Mythbusters did this one. It's actually really hard to get a cell phone to spark. It is much more likely that you will set off a fire yourself- because you built up a charge sliding across your seat getting into and out of your car. Before you touch the gas pump handle touch a part of your car that is metal away from the gas receptacle.