jetsetgreen

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Team builders


At the end of my last post I might have mentioned a few disgruntled employees that reside with me on the 9th floor of my expensive office building in Tysons Corner. Well the boat from the "we're all in the same boat" phrase suddenly feels much lighter now that two crew members jumped ship. I couldn't save them. They saw the plank and they walked off it because it was the only way. I should have been worried about what was awaiting them in the murky depths of the sea below but all I felt was pangs of jealousy and I'm afraid of fish.


What finally pushed them over the edge? It could be many things but among them I think it might have been the excessive team builders, the lack of accordion file folders and Antwon the scary man at snack time that only lets you take one snack. One york peppermint patty hardly qualifies as a whole snack if you ask me. You need at least two to catch a decent sensation. But I kid, I think the straw that broke the camels back here is when our program director gathered us all into a conference room full of lounge chairs and bean bags to "regroup" and to "remember why we are really here" and then the regional program managers got teary eyed when describing little "Johnny scholar" from last year who gave the book his counselor read to him everynight before bed back to her as a gift the night before the program ended as he went home with mom and dad early. Hello? Am I the only one listening? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!




a)Dear regional program manager, you had nothing to do with that interaction while you were sitting in your office and I was staying up at night with the homesick kids




b)The book Johnny scholar gifted my colleague (I was there) was our book! He can't give us something that was never his!




c)and P.S., the kid went home the night before the conference ended. He couldn't hack it and I hardly think you should be using that as a motivator. NOT a success story




But the cherry on top of this trifle filled with sauteed beef and onions, peas, jam and whipped cream is that our director actually printed out a piece of paper for each of us that has a picture of the "scrappy do" character from Scooby Doo on it to cheer us up when things start to get scrappy.




Thanks Director Lady, thanks

3 comments:

Carina said...

Beef, good! Peas, good!

I hate team building exercises, but I love a free lunch. Food wins.

~j. said...

When things get Scrappy?

Indeed. What would Scooby do?

Tiffany UnTwisted said...

wow. i have little to no words as i've never been involved in a "feel good" emotional work environment. good luck with that!