jetsetgreen

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

All good things must come to an end

Farewell my little friend.  When I purchased you in Honduras a year and a half ago I had no idea just how much a part of my life you would become.  I vowed to never take you off until your little strings gave up and unraveled themselves.  I stuck by that promise.  Rain, shine, showers, wedding photos - you were always a part of my world.  I periodically tightened your strings as a nervous habit just to make sure that you stayed safe and sturdy.  I got used to having a built in decoration and I incorporated your vivid colors into whatever I accessorized.  I couldn't think of a better compliment to my saints bracelets and sterling silver links and I'm sure my other jewelry would agree.  But on sunday as I looked down at my wrist with important pictures looming in just an hour I made a judgement call and decided to remove you.  I waved off the hands to my right and left who offered their help because I knew that I had put you there and I alone must remove you.  I sighed, fiddled with the ties and took a moment to remember all our good times together.  I mean, how many other people can say that they wore something for a year and a half without EVER taking it off?  Truly rare.  And I am truly sad.  After it was all over with I turned you over and over in my hands and wondered if maybe I had made a rash decision.  I made a vow and I broke it.  So what if you were immortalized in my pictures forever?  You are in everyone else's pictures too.  But alas, what's done is done.  I toyed with the idea of just putting you back on but it just wouldn't be right.  Our time together has come to an end.  No longer will conversations about the greatest weekend of my life be sparked by your presence.  


Amigo.....you were the best 75 cents I EVER spent.

Peace

3 comments:

tara said...

I'm relieved that you had enough class to take the thing off for pictures that will last a lifetime. I can think of a few people who wouldn't.

rich said...

I think one of the best moments of my life was with you in L.A.. Just the whole time. Also, your birthday. Also, when I came up to Provo both times.

Ah, the tandem bike. THE ENGAGEMENT! All so wonderful.

Anonymous said...

At least you're exchanging it for something like oh let's say an engagement ring!!! :)