jetsetgreen

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Moving on up...to the West Side

EVERYBODY STAY CALM.  STAY CALM.  HELP IS ON THE WAY.


I'm moving.  Away.  Moving away for the first REAL time.  Moving west with all the idealists hoping to find streets paved in gold and if I'm really lucky, cheese.  Gouda cheese, my favorite.  Other than that I'm just looking forward to the usual money growing on trees and the moon hitting my eye like a BIG pizza pie.  Los Angeles...here I come.


I don't exactly have a job waiting for me when I pull off Santa Monica Blvd. and into my parking garage.  Yup, I don't have a job and I don't have an iron to smooth my "please give me a job clothes".  It gets better.  I don't have a job, or a bed, or space to unpack my stuff.  I'm moving in a month before the girl whose contract I'm taking is moving out.  We are going to be such a happy family - all five of us and my air-mattress.  Taking long walks together in the dusk and laughing about the "urban camper" who lives in a tent in our alleyway.  We'll all laugh hearty, belly laughs as the person I'm replacing trips over my stuff in the living room as she tries to pack for her upcoming wedding.  We'll sip tea as we have "girl talk" on my bed until someone sits down and throws off the air balance and makes me spill my tea everywhere.  There will be long talks in the morning as the three of us share a mirror and one sink in the bathroom.  Hmmmmmm......heaven.


Actually, I'm mostly freaking out about the fact that they don't have cable.  By choice.  Thats when pro-choice is taken too far.  What am I supposed to do while I "look for a job"?  Shameful.  And let's be honest, half my identity is wrapped up in TV.  I have nothing to say that is non-tv related.  I'll be so out of touch with what is happening right outside my door.  


For years I've been pushing the adage: "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have".  But I'm having trouble figuring out how to get across a stylish, classy, wealthy woman who watches The Soup, wants to be a VJ on MTV, host her own travel show and write advice columns for a magazine and who gets to sit front row at New York fashion week.  Ideas?

10 comments:

rich said...

Ouch, I hate air mattresses so much. I'd rather sleep on the floor.

tara said...

I know a way to make those dreams come true... I'll introduce you to him. He's only 35 years your senior.

Marge Bjork said...

TELL ME: WHERE DOES IT HURT!

Peter & Darise said...

Um hello, you're living in LA. You'll be living in MTV. Remember, if you see Lauren or even Heidi tell my girls I said hi.
I'm so excited for you. you're going to have a blast (if you haven't already started to do so). Be sure to call when you come home to visit.

rich said...

You know what is awkward for me? Finishing a sentence with "L.A." or "U.S.A."

Do you just add another period? For example:

I live in L.A..

I like the U.S.A..

It just doesn't look right.

Kyle Peterson said...

Lisha-
What the beep? How are you? Well I am only a couple hours from LA so if you need a place to crash we live in a studio apartment and I hear we have a really comfortable blow up mattress, it would be like a big slumber party!!

The Kemps said...

You're moving?! Leesh~ I'd love to go to lunch before you leave and we don't see eachother for years. What a great place to live, I can't wait to hear the great things you do.

Carina said...

Remember that one time? When you moved? Yeah....

lola said...

yeah remember when we lived together a week ago? that was fun. and i think you should write an addendum because for the public's information we do have cable and dvr. and even that wasnt enough to keep you in the land of milk and honey, los angeles. what more do you want lish?

rich said...

How's LA? Your blog is boring.