jetsetgreen

Friday, October 29, 2010

A frightfully looong post

Rain falls....angry on the tin roof. It stops me and steals my breathe...

Just kidding. But seriously, it has been raining A LOT here lately. Which I know is annoying of me to say because duh, I live in Seattle. But is it more annoying than that song? I don't think so. What do I expect? Well, I expected a summer that I never really got but I won't go into that.

What I didn't expect this year was to have Halloween burn-out so early. I think my Halloween lamp went out about a week ago. Rough. I LOVE Halloween. Love, love, love it. Partly because I have such great memories of my Dad making Halloween super awesome and partly because I like some things that others might consider morbid. I love bones and skulls and anatomy and even owls and black cats and spiders (all in moderation of course).

I love dressing up and getting into character and let's face it, I usually win the costume competition - it runs in the blood. I have these AMAZING vintage anatomy posters from 1961, 65 in all, that I got from my old boss at the BYU Law Library years ago. I found them in a box in his office that I snooped in and asked him what he was going to do with them. "Throw them away" he replied. No! I exclaimed. Can I please, please have them I begged? "For what?" he wanted to know. To put them up in my house! "Why would you want to do that? That's gross" he told me. So I told him I thought they were beautiful and I took them home and from then on they have always had a place in my house, wherever that was at the time, and they aren't going anywhere soon. Here is my favorite which will never be rotated out while I go through my catalog:
photo.JPG
Isn't she a beaute? I know. And then years later when I married a med student they really came in handy. Only everyone thought they were his. As if. If we were to sign a post-nup they would go to me and only me. Sorry Ricky. I'm not even sorry. I love them that much.

So this year when October rolled around I got all excited about planning a Halloween party for the youth I work with at church. It was pretty labor intensive and I loved every minute of it. Here are some things I made:

Witches fingers with crunchy bones inside:
photo.JPG
Spider cupcakes and merengue ghosts:
photo.JPG
And I made this mummy head with a styrofoam head and paper towels soaked in coffee and carefully dried for two days accompanied with the witches fingers:
photo.JPG
But after that and decorating pumpkins the next week and blah, blah, blah I got tired. Soooo tired. And now we have 1 more festivity to go to on Saturday night and I can't come up with a costume. No joke. I got nothin. And this is usually my forte.

Help. Seriously. My reputation is at sake! I NEED to win that costume contest or I might. just. die.

2 comments:

Whits said...

Go as Rachel Zoe. Then you can show off your bony sternum.

Mrs. Ordinary said...

You could go as a chicken nugget. I'll dress up as ranch and accompany you.