jetsetgreen

Saturday, February 23, 2008

It comes from where?

My toothpaste is made in Mexico.  Mexico?  Yeah, Mexico.  I know we get a lot of things from our neighbors down south on account of their year-round growing season, but toothpaste?  I had no idea that just like strawberries it takes a lot of sun and water to make some toothpaste.  I know that outsourcing is all the rage these days, but where does it end?  Even my shampoo is made in the U.S.  Shouldn't we bring the making of toothpaste back home?  I've never made it myself but I'm guessing it can't be too hard to make.  Making the toothpaste here could bring some well needed jobs to let's say, the midwest.  Heavens knows that gotham city, a.k.a Detroit, could use some new industry.  I think there would be plenty of people there who would love to work in a toothpaste factory - they are factory people around there after all.  I don't mind if my clothes come from Mauritius or my shoes were made in Italy (which I prefer actually).  I guess I just never thought about where my toothpaste came from until I saw it printed largely on the back of the tube last night.  Kind of makes me curious where everything I have comes from.

1 comment:

Marge Bjork said...

I have some panties that were made in Israel. That's always seemed strange to me.