jetsetgreen

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Look ma! No fingerprints

I like to think of myself as a purist of sorts.  I don't like anything on my hot dogs, just the hot dog and the bun.  I would only eat cheeseburgers with you guessed it - bun, meat and cheese.  I like my cheesecake plain, with no toppings at all.  I don't think toilets should have seat covers and I definitely don't think anyone should be making covers for tissue boxes.  I like clean lines and unadulterated textures and I love the feeling of a naked steering wheel.  The way your skin naturally provides the perfect grip for pure control.  I always hated driving cars with furry steering wheel covers with trendy leopard, flame or dice motifs.  You lose so much feeling when turning the car around corners.  I equally hate the 'leather-like' covers with perforated holes and strings wrapping around the car that give the feeling of an old boat.  No, just give me the steering wheel the way God and the Japanese intended: plain.  But in the winter, and just in the winter, I change my tune when it comes to my steering wheel.  The only thing I let get between my steering wheel and me is leather.  Thats right, if you have never driven a car with leather gloves you are missing out.  It's a new level of grip, the ultimate driving experience.  It makes every car trip a little more dangerous.  You take turns a little faster than you might have before.  You suddenly find yourself taking corners using only one palm on the steering wheel because there is no way that hand is going anywhere.  I find myself gripping the wheel and moving my hands forward and backward as I grip tighter and tighter like I'm waiting on the starting line for a race through the hills of Monaco...absolutely exhilarating.  I may be driving a Nissan Sentra, but in my leather gloves I'm driving a vintage Aston Martin with a tan leather interior.  But not to worry, I know my limits.  I realize the leather doesn't make me invincible.  I won't be driving to school backwards at top speed changing lanes like I do my men, every ten seconds.....wuah- ha- ha.  Next up: fingerless driving gloves with adjustable straps for my summer enjoyment.

4 comments:

Mike Lau said...

I've never tried the gloves but I could only imagine. I do know what you're saying with the whole steering wheel cover. Along with the less productive grip it's very tacky. I mean come on leopard print in a car!

Laquina said...

Thankfully Mike you haven't fallen into the trap of some of your fellow abc's and decked out your car with hawaiian print seat covers, etc.

Marge Bjork said...

what?! leopard print is ALWAYS classy

Carina said...

You wrote about driving gloves and Aston Martins?

Me too.
That's funny.

By the way, you're a heretic if you don't put mustard on your dog.