jetsetgreen

Friday, March 13, 2009

Take off your jacket and stay a while

I'm getting that urge again.  The one where I want to permanently park my keister on the front porch and laze the days away.  It is quite possible one of my favorite things to do - ever.  Add in a popsicle or some sort of cold beverage and bingo!  Heaven.  I have always had some sort of porch to sit on no matter where I lived.  And while some people used their porches to collect newspapers or put cutesy crafts designating the upcoming holiday, I chose to use mine for sitting.  Just what god and everyone in the south intended it for.  We used to have a specialized term for it, "porch-monkeying".  Don't know why.  But I really love it.  I love it so much that in interviews when people ask me what I like to do for fun I tell them I love to sit on the porch.  I even loved it when I lived in a condo on 9th east in Provo and every 5 minutes your talking would be drowned out by gangs of bullet bikers zipping past on their death machines.  



But now I don't have a porch.  I  only have a porch with a large concrete retaining wall around it so that if I sat down to enjoy the porch then I wouldn't be able to see anything other than the top people's balconies, boo.  
The other solution is to go sit on the curb by the parking lot and hang-out there.  But the only people who hang out there are the Indian man who only stares and won't talk, or the girl who likes to sit almost in the bushes next to the dumpster in all black and drink from her paper bag.  Don't worry, they are both regulars.  For some reason I just don't lean towards the curb option in this scenario.  But don't get me wrong, I still love sitting on the curb, but mostly just at the gas station.  


I don't know what to do!  We are having the perfect weather right now and I need to take advantage of it.  It is pretty much akin to Utah spring/summer right now.  I know in another month or maybe less it will be hotter than hades.  Maybe I will just sneak over to Sunland Village, the retirement community across the street, and borrow a porch or two there.  Watch people walk their dogs by running them alongside their golf carts.

2 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

you could use all of Rich's textbooks to boost the chair's height

tara said...

Maybe it's time to move.

Either that, or sit on the corner of your street with a can and maybe you can make some extra money on the side.