jetsetgreen

Monday, March 30, 2009

Take this job and shove-it


I forgot what working is like.  After I moved here and didn't have a job I thought "how am I ever going to fill up all of this time?  I'm SO bored".  Well, I filled it up.  I just filled up all my time with lots of stuff and now that I'm strapped for time again I don't like it.  Not one bit.  



I see the value in hard work and I fully intend to teach my children all about it as they weed the garden at 7am every sat morning.  I just don't know how much value it has for me anymore.  I've worked long hours as a waitress, called people to survey them, folded and re-folded clothes in retail, filed and ran excel sheets, wrangled other people's kids and stamped and stamped books in the back of the library.  I've had a wide variety of jobs but maybe I've peeked.  Who says you have to wait until your 50's to top-out?  




I was sooo good at keeping up the house and making sure the kitchen was fully stocked.  I mean, I was REALLY good at it.  Service with a smile I like to say.  And I penciled in time for a bike ride and some quality time at the pool occasionally.  It most certainly is a crime to keep me away from what I excel at, right?



You know they say that we never use our full brain capacity and that is probably true...for people who work.  You get focused on and really good at only a couple of things like payroll and time cards or mergers and acquisitions.   But when I wasn't working I think I was operating at 98% brain capacity.  I was reading all sorts of interesting books - some of them science related - and listening to NPR and watching videos of string theory and extraordinary people with super-human brains.  I cooked new food all the time and started sewing and watched 4 seasons of Friends.  




Tell me I'm not a better, stronger, faster human after that.  Now I sit down 8 hrs a day staring at a computer and all the super awesome knowledge I had obtained the past couple of months is draining.  




"I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on this mug all day..."

4 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

Sometimes I feel like presenting the "less general ed" plan to the university because of that very same reason.

Mojo said...

work smurk. you should try children, they suck all sorts of brain power from you.

tara said...

Word.

irene said...

Lisha I totally agree. I work like 6 hours a week and every moment of work seems unproductive and worthless while my walking around or my trying to find cheap food seems much more brain worthy. I don't get people that NEED work. I find a lot of better things to pass my time