jetsetgreen

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

I have been thinking A LOT lately about what to do with my life.  Do I go back to school, and if so, for what?  Do I get a Master's degree in something I kind of like, become a dental hygienist or certify to be the teacher everyone wants me to be that I don't want to be.  And as I was talking to Ricky about it tonight I remembered a little something my oldest sister at the Jet set gave me a couple of years back:
Mediocrity
I think she was on to something.  I think it was part joke, part what I think about my style of life and a big part true.  I repeat, I think she was on to something.  Sure, to some people I have lived a crazy life traveling every couple of years and hardly studying just to get through college, but to other people who have fancy degrees and bajillions more frequent flier miles than me I am just a regular person.  Voila! Mediocre!  




I don't want to be mediocre anymore!  But I'm stuck between getting into school loan debt, my ticking uterus clock and taking the GRE (that alone makes me ill).  And as I searched for the Mediocrity poster to share with you all I found this:
Limitations
Something to look forward to as I begin this journey.  I relate to this one quite well right now.  Does your job or lack thereof define you?  I need an answer.

5 comments:

rich said...

Oh. my. goodness. I love that last poster! It made me laugh out loud.

Lisha, you are far from mediocre. Someone with such composure and grace cannot be mediocre.

Such is a liberal arts degree. If I didn't do all my medical school prerequisites I would be opening my arms as well to discover how long I can walk.

But you know what, jobs and education are just a small part of what defines us. Kind of like the adage "no success can compensate for failure in the home", is the idea that who cares what worldly stuff one accomplishes if you're a big jerk nobody likes.

Carina said...

I think Ricky just called you a big jerk that nobody likes.

Just get a Masters degree in something you kind of like.

La Yen said...

I have a Masters Degree in something I kind of like. And I think about using it when I am sitting here in my undies reading blogs. And when I am paying my student loans.

Just tell people you are writing a book. Then they will leave you alone.

Tiffany UnTwisted said...

I don't know if this is advice or not, but I just had a career for 12 years that I quit 2 weeks ago. I'm going to stay home (how? I have no idea yet) and just be with my kids for a bit. All the frequent flyer miles and bazillions dollars aside, it just wasn't me.

You really have to do something that you love, or you'll be miserable.

And yes, I'm comtemplating going and finally getting my Master's in something that I love and just doing something with it.

Not that my perspective is what YOU should do ... dental hygenist can sound lovely, if you like teeth and nasty smelling breathe all day long. I was just aiming for checker at Wal-Mart (cuz I won't spend money there like I would at Target).

Marianne & Clayton said...

Or do what I did when I couldn't answer the same questions you are facing. Become a flight attendant. Great travel, crappy pay...but everyone kinda thinks it's kinda cool. Kinda. However, it gives you tons of free time to do other cool stuff.

Hi, by the way. I'm Azucar's friend. I think I met you at one of her shin-digs. Maybe not? Stalking aside, I really like your blog.