jetsetgreen

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The best things in life are free

I finally felt the burden of it tonight. The BIG it - money. I've never had much of it. But I've almost always had enough to do what I please without incurring debt. But those days are over. Now I truly window shop but mostly through the internet because that way I can't touch it and try it on and see how nice it feels on my skin. And oddly enough I'm ok with that. Our closet is so full already that I wouldn't want to impose the misery of being stuffed in somewhere to a new piece. I've mostly had a problem with food. I like to buy good food, it seems to be my vice lately. So I've committed to going to the store less and eating what we have which is still pretty good. Fine, I can do that.

But the true stab in the heart was tonight while I was talking to my madre on the phone. She asked about the couch we had been planning on getting. Yeah, we can't really swing that right now I told her. I felt like it had taken a tiger claw to my nose and my eyes began to swell. I don't know why I had such a strong reaction to the couch. We could go out and buy one with a little help from our money market but we aren't stupid. It isn't worth it right now. You know, living with a love seat and two chairs isn't soo bad. You just have to decide if watching a movie with your mate by your side is worth it. And if you curl up in a ball and leave either your feet or head hanging over the edge it is pretty comfy.

It's not the couch or the money really that bothers me - ok, yes it is. We live on a fixed income, like old people. Which I can't complain about because the Air-force pays for our living and we don't do anything, yet. But have you ever woken up in the morning and the pair of jeans you wore the day before is suddenly tighter and you don't know how it happened? Its only been 8 hours! Did I eat that much last night? Only you know you've really been eating that much for a while and it finally caught up to you. It's like that.

It's finally caught up to me. Blurg.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

If it makes you feel any better every single piece of furniture in our house was "free." Everything except our mattress which we bought on Craigslist for 80 bucks and our kitchen table that we also got for 80 bucks on Craigslist. I keep telling myself someday, someday. The funny thing is, we could also dip into our savings that we've worked so hard to grow, grow, grow, but we'd both rather sit on our free furniture and wait until our monthly income can afford it.

You can do it, you can do it!

I have some friends who go to Costco a couple of times a week and so they have pantry's that are fully stocked with the GOOD stuff. I know if I did that we'd have some dang good food to eat around here, but instead I look at cooking blogs to see what I can make with what I already have.

Good luck girl, feeling poor is never fun, but just remember your husband is going to be a DOCTOR and one day, trust me, you will no longer be poor. AT ALL.

Marge Bjork said...

"it" is very, very blurg. But on the upside, blurg is a very good sounding word.

Whits said...

I love your love seat and chairs. They are so awesome!

Miggy said...

This is very timely. The man of the house is at a financial seminar at our church right now, and I'm at home listening to the CD at home.

It's hard. There is ALWAYS something I want. Whether it's little or big there's always that little something. Sometimes it's not much, sometimes it's more, but like you we're now on a fixed income and funds are pretty tight. I think we lived better when we were on loans because it was when it ran out we just got more money.

Like Chief Mama ALL of our furniture is second hand. Even the stuff that we paid a little more for--like our dining room table and couch--were still second hand. And I too had to sacrifice the couch I really wanted for a couch I didn't like as much {it's still a nice couch, but just saying..}. But when we were in NYC we just bought everything off of Craigslist, or grabbed it free off the street. It was nice that we were surrounded by people who were in the same position, so we didn't have a 'keeping up with the joneses' feeling.

I think one of the best things I can do when I'm feeling like you is get creative--make new cloths out of the clothes I have. Re-fashion a t-shirt, or one of the husbands shirts,etc. Also, going thrifting and then updating the furniture yourself--painting or reupholstering a simple chair--easy. I think you can still be poor and find ways to make your place and life fun.

OH--also I just signed up for a website called "thegrocerygame.com" I'm still really new, but you can get a free trial for one month and use her 'rules' and coupons to drastically cut your grocery bill.

Sorry--maybe you were just wanting to vent and not looking for advice, but there it is. :) Just know you're in good company.