jetsetgreen

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Goooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll!!

Summer is here and there is NOTHING to watch. Seriously. I have resorted to streaming the bachelorette while exercising. I hate that show. It is a veritable bag of douche-ery. But yet I still do it.

I even got Dear John from the redbox last week which I guess isn't that surprising seeing as how I watch almost everything that looks terrible. But it was SO bad. Like bleeding eyes bad. And the story made me angry - like literally angry. I threw a freshly matched pile of socks at Ricky to emphasis my rage. Why would you EVER marry someone just because you felt sorry for them? Especially when there is HOT soldier pinning after you halfway around the world? Ugh. It disgusted me and is now my second most hated movie after A walk to remember starring my least favorite person ever, Mandy Moore. Seriously. Sure kids, get married just so you can have sex and not feel guilty about it before you die. It sounds like the human version of a story my friend Stasy once told me; her sister lets her animals have a sexual escapade before she fixes them. Really? Really.

My only saving grace right now is the World Cup. I love it. Love, love, love it. It is the only time I read the sports section of the paper or watch ESPN (if I had cable). I love a dose of healthy competition amongst countries where it is ok to occasionally yell slurs of all kinds at the tv. Soccer games have an energy to them that no other sport comes close to possessing. Sure, hockey fans throw octopus on the ice, baseball has streakers and basketball has celebrities courtside but soccer has stabbings, riots and deadly trampling. I kind of imagine that's what the Roman arenas felt like when the gladiators were fighting to the death but with less air horns.

Plus, soccer games have the added bonus of WAG's or wives and girlfriends of the players. They are just as entertaining as the games, if not more. Starring my favorite WAG of all time: Victoria Beckham of course. Sometimes when they show pictures of the WAG's at the games I find myself wondering, was there a confusion over what type of venue they thought they were going too or did they just come straight from a non-stop night of clubbing? If they aren't careful they could encounter some Waglash (no, I didn't make that up).

Did anyone see the U.S. vs. England today? Am I alone in my World Cup loving?

5 comments:

irene said...

You are not alone. I feel almost kind of guilty for how much I like watching the world cup. But it's So good. The USA england match was so good. Lets hope south africa lives up to its reputation and we get some serious violence at one of these games (crowd violence, not so much player violence, that doesn't seem as entertaining).

The Calls said...

lol you are funny. So you think you can dance is on Lisha, other than that the TV shows are scarce, unless you like reruns of CSI: Miami. I did watch Dear John and Channing Tatum is totally hot. Did you read the book? Cause though the gist is still the same the ending is much better. I don't know if that'll save that movie for you though. Do you like reality TV?

The Calls said...

p.s. when are we going to hang out? would you like to go Kayaking? They have rental in Seattle by UW we could bring our husbands and paddle along the water front together. eh?

jeffner said...

I loooove the world cup. The Spain Semi and Finals were so great to watch. The finesse, the style... the flowing locks of Puyol's hair. And while I don't remember any crowd violence the final was rife with stiff arms, take-downs and that one horrifically amazing karate flying kick to the chest. Loved it.

jeffner said...

I loooove the world cup. The Spain Semi and Finals were so great to watch. The finesse, the style... the flowing locks of Puyol's hair. And while I don't remember any crowd violence the final was rife with stiff arms, take-downs and that one horrifically amazing karate flying kick to the chest. Loved it.