jetsetgreen

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Let there be Peace

I'm having a little bit of a personal crisis right now. I have gone through every range of emotion the past couple of weeks and I stopped just short of laying down on the bathroom floor and sobbing hysterically.

It's been really hard for me and I just don't know how to fix it.

Oh wait, I know how. Obliterate my personal demons: fruit flies.

That's right, Drosophila melanogaster as they are scientifically known. They are tormenting my life and are a constant nuisance. We have had just about zero mosquitos this year but the fruit flies are in over drive.

And the worst part? They seem to be a very narcissistic insect. I always find them on my bathroom mirror. What are they looking at? Here I come to my bathroom trying to use my mirror to stare at my pores and there they are....taunting me.

I have officially turned into the father from A Christmas Story who has the same situation going on with his furnace. You can often find me in the bathroom with the door closed banging things, whipping my towel around and clapping my hands muttering almost terrible things under my breath. They haunt me. I am constantly running around the house clapping my hands like a crazy person because no one can see what I am chasing. It kind of reminds me of the dragonfly parking lot incidence of '97 which some of you may have heard.

Humiliating. They have turned me into an obsessed, neurotic Entomophobian , or someone who is afraid of insects. Except I'm not really afraid of the fruit fly. Just obsessed with bringing about it's demise.


P.S. Just wait Jana and Stephen. You might regret having us at your house if I see some nasty bugs...

3 comments:

Carina said...

They are living in the sink drain, that's why they seem to be in your bathroom.

Put apple cider vinegar and some dish soap into a bowl, stir. cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes into it. The flies crawl in but can't crawl out. Problem solved!

Marianne & Clayton said...

Oh my gosh. This is my life too right now. I thought I was going crazy. They love my bathroom too. Carina- can I just pour draino down the drain? Wouldn't that kill them too? Or does it just make them stronger like I imagine?

Marianne & Clayton said...

Sorry, I overused the word "too" in that comment.