jetsetgreen

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

There are many things that I learned on my weekend trip to Honduras that I wanted to bring back with me like how to zip-line through the jungle and eat off the street without losing my insides. But as I left Central America with all this new information to share I realized that I was more full of questions about American life. Why do we do things the way we do? Isn't there a better way? There are so many things that I want to start doing the third-world way. Here is a list:
>glass shards on the top of fences - it really keeps the riff-raff out and looks so pretty in the sunlight
>packing people into cars - there is totally enough room, isn't that what carpooling is all about?
>buying underwear off the street...literally off the street - if you know anything about having a good time its going to end up there anyways
>returning glass bottles on the spot to the neighborhood store to get your next beverage cheaper - who wants the 5cent recycle price anyway, but who doesn't want another Fanta limon?
>a sing-along party soundtrack starring Celine Dion and Michael Bolton - you know why
>no crosswalks - really you should just be able to walk whenever and wherever you want
>and the best one of all.....Live advertisements at gas stations! At first you think that the above video is just some awesome dancers doing their thing. Until you realize that they are really dancing in front of a gas station......and they really cant dance (especially the chica on the far left) - I really don't think Americans would mind the high gas prices so much if they had this to take their mind off how much they were spending.

So Gracias Honduras for showing me a better way. Soon enough we will all be dumping our garbage in the nearest river instead of overflowing our landfills!

3 comments:

jessica said...

Thank you Lisha your posts always make me smile!

Carina said...

That video makes me so happy.

Mrs. Dub said...

your sis clued me into this post.

i miss it all - especially the smell of urine and burning trash. it's an enchanting scent really.