jetsetgreen

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Sixth Sense


How do I know things? I just know. Like today for example when I was getting dressed and opted out of a cute little pink sweater vest in favor of this short-sleeve sweater that hasn't seen the light of day in a year. I didn't know why it felt so right until I got to school and discovered that it was National Speak Like a Pirate Day. How did I know? I just do.
Another thing I just know is how to spot a 'bro'. You know, the guys who cannot say hello without first saying "hey bro" aka the "yeah dudes".
Example....."yeah dude, that intramural football game was soooo sweet bra" or "hey bro, my buddies and I are going to long board down the canyon tonight....its soooo sick".
You get the picture. I just know 'em when I see 'em. And today was no exception. The following is my conversation with my "bro" class friend.
"Hey, I didn't even know that it was nat'l speak like a pirate day and look what I wore! See! That guy that just walked in is wearing a pirate hat and wig!"
Bro: "yeah....that guy is the reason I just dont fit in at BYU"
"what are you talking about?"
Bro: "well I live with all these guys from UVSC and they always apologize to people we meet that I go to BYU because I dont act like anyone at BYU because I'm cooler"
"but you seem like the typical BYU guy to me"
Bro: "No way, thats not who I am"
"Then who are you?"
Bro: "I dont want to talk about this right now"
"But I think you're pretty typical of this school you seem like a just another dude to me, don't you want to defend yourself?"
Bro: " I don't have to defend who I am to anyone"
"True.....but the other day on our homework you actually answered the question who is John Harris? with 'that dude who...'. And you say buddy and bro all the time. Do you call people 'boss'?"
Bro: "No, I hate when people say that"
"Right......you seem to fit in just fine to me"
And its not just conversations that give away the 'Bro" in people. Their dress says more than words ever can. White K-Swiss, cargo shorts, polo or any skate T-shirt. Which is exactly what class 'Bro' friend was wearing. You are what you are bro, just embrace it.
How do I know you are a Bro? I just do.

3 comments:

La Yen said...

Also, if you are giving more thought to how you can not fit in than you are to getting an education is probably a bro. (For girls we called them "Yahs." As in "Do you want to go to that party? "Yah." 2 syllables.)

Momoko Photography said...

word.

Marge Bjork said...

oui. tu as la raison.