jetsetgreen

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rage Black-out

You know, I'm not 20 anymore.  And not being 20 has changed some things for me.  I no longer pull whatever I find out of my closet/dress-up drawer and wear it out and about.  I don't yell as much and I definitely shower more.  I also like to experience concerts and shows a little differently than at 20.  I remember the days of being in the front row of the Good Charlotte show yelling "I love you" to Joel the singer and running in the pit during a Less than Jake show.  But I'm not into that anymore.  I still go to shows but I always arrive early enough to skip the adolescent crowds by getting a front row seat in the over 21 section.  I like to actually see the band and not get stepped on or pushed or crushed by someone crowd surfing over my head.  I like my personal space now - except this one time when a bunch of drunk snow-boarders adopted me onto their bench at a Saves The Day show and we laughed together as they drunkenly spilled pitchers of beer over the balcony on an annoying ex-boyfriend of mine (they didn't know I knew him).  That was pretty funny.  So last night I went to a show with some friends that I thought was at the Venue so I was looking forward to getting my usual balcony bench seat.  Only when we showed up it was in the smaller room with no seats, arg.  "Ok" I thought to myself, "this is going to alright".  No.  It was not alright.  We were standing somewhere in the middle off to one side and things were going great.  I could actually see and no one was bothering me.  Then the headlining band Vampire Weekend took the stage.  This group of kids pushes right into the middle in front of us.  I mean they were literally pushing everyone aside to get closer - mistake #1.  Then this kid starts dancing all sorts of crazy like and pushing the girl in front of me consequently pushing me - mistake #2.  No one was doing anything.  They were either moving or just letting themselves be pushed.  WHAT?!  Where is everyones spine?  Did you have to leave them at the door?  Well I brought mine thank you very much and I'm not letting some punk kids push me around.  If I wanted to go to a Slayer show I would have.  The dancing maniac pushed the girl in front of me again and she sent me an apologetic look - mistake #3.  "Does he keep pushing you?" I asked her.  She nodded yes so I reached through her and grabbed his shoulder whipping him around to face me.  "Quit knocking into people" I ordered using my scary mad face.  He looked at me like "what?" so I said "YEAH" right in this face.  He moved away from me.  Then this other guy starts dancing right in front of me pressing his sopping wet sweaty body against me and elbowing me.  "OH NO" I thought to myself, "I ain't having this".  So I grab him and yell "quit elbowing me" to which he yells "MOVE!" to me.  That was it, I had had it.  So I yelled "ME MOVE???!???  NO....YOU MOVE!!!"  And I shoved him into the people in front of him as hard as I could.  I instantly felt Ricky's arm on mine to which I instantly thought "oh great....he is going to think I have rage problems.  Yikes".  So I said, "he was being rude to me"  Suddenly everyone around me that I had only met that night is offering to switch me places.  I just knew they were thinking I was crazy and violent, which did give me a little rush.  But as soon as the song ended the sweaty monster turned around and began apologizing.  He told me when he yelled "move!" he meant it as "dance!".  I accepted the apology and told him I didn't care if he danced but I did care if he elbowed me.  The rest of the show he did dance his sweaty head off but he never touched me again.  It's all about compromise.  I think I'm too old for this kind of stuff, but I'm not too old to take on stupid kids twice my size.  I can take care of myself bitches.     

7 comments:

Carina said...

Holla.


I have so been there. We act the same at shows, we could be sisters!

kiki said...

I'm sad I didn't get to go to the show last night because I didn't think it would sell out! Was the lead singer of VW as cute in person as I want him to be?!

rich said...

Man that lead singer is so fine. Oh man, that show was great.

Mojo said...

I never had a moment that I wasn't mad at someone at a show. That makes you a better person than me.

Laquina said...

Yes Kiki, just like Richard said he was that cute in a 17 yr old boyish way.

tara said...

I shoved one guy at the last show I went to, and elbowed another one in the kidney. And then got dirty looks for doing it.

Mrs. Ordinary said...

I got my belt buckle stuck on the pants of the high school boy in front of me and never ventured into a show that required standing again. Ah, the humiliation. At least you were not his girlfriend. She left her spine at the door.