jetsetgreen

Monday, June 30, 2008

Saved

I'm living in Houston the entire month of July.  Which as anyone whose ever been here knows is the best month to come.  Everything in Houston during the month of July is in it's peak.  The humidity is at an all time high, the heat has almost reached its pinnacle and the smell of the freeway next to use is ripe for the pickin.  Mmmm....  But if I'm being honest with myself and my sister who reads this - it isn't that bad.  I mean, how bad can a place be if there is a church across the street that draws a crowd of 10,000 people every Sunday?  Would 10,000 people trek across the great state of Texas and who knows where else to sit in a crap hole on Sunday?  No, I think not (unless they live in Jersey because the whole thing is basically a crap hole).  


I know what you're thinking.  What is this church that draws mega-crowds?  Oh, you know it.  You've all seen it on TV.  You've all seen it and all wondered what was going on.  And you will all fighting back the rage blackouts from being sooo jealous after I show you this:
 
That's right.  It IS him.  Joel Osteen - or as one person on the internet put it, the caucasian pastor on BET.   Pastor of the Lakewood Church right across the street from my renaissance Marriott.  How can I hate a place that has given me the gift of a televangelist right next door?  I can't and neither can you.  But we can both hope for a photo opportunity and maybe a healing or two.  Turns out his wife speaks also.  Bum deal for her.  I always thought I would be so mad if I married someone who changed careers halfway through marriage or invested all our savings in some miracle fruit or work from home kit.  But this worse.  You marry a man who loves you and God and then suddenly you have to speak in front of thousands and shellac your hair with spray and wear stage makeup all the time.  Stage makeup all the time?  That spells d-i-v-o-r-c-e right there.  But at least loving God in this instance pays.  



I bet it even comes with Dental.





 

5 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

you know me, I like his nose.

Carina said...

I saw a profile on him once...he's a interesting dude. He's all about the prosperity gospel, which seems like a fancy way of saying that if you have enough faith God will make you rich.

Hmm....

tara said...

I sort of always wanted to be the wife of a televangelist. Think of all the money you could stash away from little old ladies.

rich said...

Prosperity Gospel! Oh man, don't get me started. The doctrine underlying this is horrid. Sure god wants to bless us, but to basically equivocate, and I mean literally equivocate, money with righteousness, you are teaching damning and prideful doctrine.

I remember listening to an interview on NPR, and people were calling in and saying "How can you teach this" and would bring up an argument like mine and he would just say "No, if you have the faith God will make you rich." Crazy!

Mojo said...

they don't need dental, they are raking in the dough. I also think that detroit is a far worse place than New Jersey.