jetsetgreen

Thursday, August 7, 2008

No man is an Island

"Did you fall out of bed"? asked my mother this morning as I was eating breakfast.  "No, why?" I asked.  "Because I never get to see you up this early".  It was 9:15 am.  And no, I do not always get up late.  It's just that I've had a little more free time than usual while I wait for my new job to start.  I don't want to be lazy and sleep in everyday so I try to get up at a decent hour and keep myself productive - even though I don't really know why.  So I fill up my day by taking walks or borrowing my moms trike to take a spin around the neighborhood.  I read on the porch or with my legs propped up against a wall to keep the varicose veins away.  I made myself take two days to finish A Thousand Splendid Suns so I could have more time to fill up.  I'm not complaining, it is just odd to have so much time to yourself.  I try to shift my activities every two hours or so to keep the blood pumping.  Maybe now I'll have time to remember to water the plants.  I just wish there were more people around.  I think, "man, a mexican popsicle would be great right now!" but there is no one to go with.  And the thought of sitting outside of Juanita's bakery by myself just isn't right.  Who would marvel alongside me at the neighboring display windows with fluffy quincenera dresses embroidered with the Virgin of Guadalupe?  I have no friends left in Provo.  Correction - I have no single friends left in Provo.  Thanks for living here married's, but it just doesn't work the same.  I've thought about trying to make new friends but what's the point, I'm leaving in a month anyway.  It's just too much work.  I wouldn't be getting a good return on my investment.  I don't need to meet anyone else here.  I already have a place to stay when I come back to Utah, I can borrow a car from my family, and I know where I like to eat.  So if I already know you and you want to get a mexican popsicle sometime go ahead and give me a ring.

6 comments:

tara said...

This made me shed a tear. Ah, to porch sit with you...

Laquina said...

Luckily Taradise, you and I can sit on my new balcony with a mexican popsicle in each hand watching the suckers in the freeway traffic. LA is just brimming, brimming I tell you with Mexican frozen cuisine - but I don't have to tell you that.

Mike Lau said...

Hey I'll be in Provo next week to drop my brother off at the MTC. I'll be sure to give you a call and maybe we can hit up juanita's for old times sake.

Mike Lau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Lau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marge Bjork said...
This comment has been removed by the author.