jetsetgreen

Friday, August 8, 2008

Safety first

I decided to really test the trike today by riding all the way to Target from my house.  I don't know how far that is - but it's farther than riding around and around and around my neighborhood. 
 So I dug up a bike lock from the garage and loaded up the basket with a hoodie, a clutch, my camelback canteen and some shades (just in case).  I was putting on my shoes and fiddling with my Ipod when my mom caught me.  "You better wear a helmet" she said.  "It's not that far" I protested.  "I don't care" she insisted, "there is too much traffic - go get it".  Fine.  I got the helmet.  Nobody likes to wear a bike helmet.  Wearing a bike helmet says "hey, I'm practical and safety minded.  Aaaaaand I don't mind looking like a dufus".  But for once I actually listened to my mother.  When we were little my brother and I used to wear our bike helmets like dutiful children until we got to the giant bushes at the bottom of our drive where we promptly discarded our helmets.  We put them back on right before we got home and mom never knew.  I used to do that a lot.  Outwardly I was a very obedient child, but I wasn't really.  I pulled the old bike helmet discard trick many times with other things.  My mom once braided my hair in two braids that she wrapped around my ears like princess laie for picture day.  As soon I got to the end of the drive I unwrapped those buns as fast as I could.  I was soo embarrassed.  She didn't find out until we got the pictures back.  I also used to wear one thing to school in elementary and change into another completely different outfit when I got to school.  I would take her knee-high leather stiletto boots and parade around recess in them.  Yikes.  I was such a clothes whore at a young age.  Back to the ride, I made it to Target safe and sound where I picked up the usuals; some gum, lotion and Jujyfruits.  
That's right, Jujyfruits.  They were next to the gum and I had just seen the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets in trouble for stopping for Jujyfruit and then stuffing her mouth with them.  I know I've had them before, but it had been so long I'd forgotten what they were like I decided to give them another shot.  They are delicious!  Much better than I'd thought.  And so I stuffed a bunch in my mouth trying to recreate the Elaine moment, "Mr. Lipman...you forgot your...Mr. Lipman...your hankerchief".  It IS really hard - those things stick to your teeth like none other.  Don't call me on the phone today, your likely to only hear a bunch of mumbling on account of the Jujyfruit.

4 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

pimple popper!

Mrs. Ordinary said...

Glad you made it back safely

Anonymous said...

Jujyfruits rock! Nice bike by the way. Are you going to the concert with us on the 28th? call me!

rich said...

I should be studying, but I just had to read your blog post again.