jetsetgreen

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Over-easy


Why are french fries so awesome? No really, this is not a rhetorical question. Why?

Every time I eat them I wonder why I don't eat them more. So simple and so perfect. My family in Spain eats them everyday. No really, every day. Although to be fair they cook theirs in olive oil. It doesn't matter what the main meal consists of it will always be accompanied with french fries. Always.

Chicken? French fries. Fish? French fries. Beef? French fries. Stew? French fries. It is the one common denominator of their meals. You can even get hot french fries out of a vending machine in some parts of Spain. No joke.

Not only that, but every meal consists of a starch (potatoes) and a carb (bread). Otherwise it just wouldn't be a meal. Doesn't that sound great?

In fact, my 96 year old Abuela is SO used to having a piece of bread at every meal to help her load her food onto her fork that I once witnessed her using an eggroll at a Chinese restaurant to push her fried rich onto her fork. She held that eggroll the entire meal in her left hand while she ate and used it as a utensil. Talk about adapting to a new environment.

So tonight for dinner we had french fries (and I snuck a few sweet potato fries in there as well) with fried eggs - a favorite of my mom's family and me.

Hits the spot everytime.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I love french fries as well! I could eat them everyday!! Lovin the sweet potato fries too :)

Carina said...

Crisp starch.

Also, their fries aren't processed, they're just fried potatoes. Yum.

Mojo said...

I had some amazing fries the other day. They had parmesan cheese and rosemary, sooo goood.