jetsetgreen

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The house that boiled wool built

I saw this picture of my friend Stephen and I instantly thought "Stephen is wearing my mom's jacket".  

I was in complete disbelief.  How did he even get it to begin with and why was he stretching it out by wearing it?  I looked to my right and I looked to my left searching for someone to say "hey, can you believe he is wearing my mom's jacket?" to.  But there was no one.  So I called Jenaper from the other room, "Jenaper...you have to come see this!  My friend stole mom's jacket and is wearing it".  She couldn't believe it either.  "That definitely looks like mom's" she assured me.  How can I tell?  I live in the house that boiled wool built.  Ever since I can remember my mother has been sporting boxy jackets and blazers crafted in the mountains of Switzerland/Austria made of fine boiled wool.  She even has a designated holding cell for these jackets shipped directly from the alleyways of Switzerland.  It makes the jackets more comfortable to be housed in something that came from the same homeland.  They also have two beds, two night-stands and a dresser at their disposal. 
 Here is the fancy key that leads to the armoire:
And here is the armoire itself:
Open the armoire and see all of the boiled wool jackets!
As a kid I loved "The Lion the witch and the wardrobe" book and I always had a feeling that my mothers wardrobe was magical as well.  It just looks like there is a secret world of ice queens and centaurs hidden behind its contents.  A few times I even tried to push through all the boiled wool to make it through but I just couldn't stand the feeling of the steel-wool fibers against my soft skin.  I hate that feeling more than nails on a chalkboard or someone wrapping their fingers under my collarbone.  Growing up my mother was always acquiring new boiled wool garments and trying to dispense them to me but the very sight of those scratchy fibers would send me into convulsions until they were removed from sight.  I could never understand her love of them.  And now I cannot understand Stephen's apparent love of boiled wool - although I found a lovely green number if you are interested sir:
 
Why wrap yourself in insulation when you can wrap yourself in cashmere I ask?

3 comments:

Carina said...

I always thought I could get to Narnia through that wardrobe, too. I mean, I think we were the only ones with an actual wardrobe in the entire neighborhood.

I can't believe he's wearing that, it does look like mom's.

(I like boiled wool.)

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahaha oh I can imagine the boiled woolness.

Stephen said...

There's a funny story behind this jacket. 1 year ago my gpa says, "Stephen, I got a sweater for you and you'll love it!" He pulled this number out and I took it afraid he might be offended if I don't and then it just took up space in my closet for a couple months. After 6 months I gave it back and then about 2 months ago he said, "Stephen, I got a sweater that you are going to love!", and lo and behold, he pulls out the boiled wool again. I was laughing to myself and he mistook this for, he loves this, and I ended up taking it home again. This was the night he re-gave it to me. And I'll never wear it again...