jetsetgreen

Monday, August 2, 2010

No alopecia here

I have this theory that when you fly all your hair grows much faster.

I'm not sure if it's the altitude, the cabin pressure or your immune system in overload but sure enough I always have WAY more eyebrow hairs to pluck when I'm fresh off an airplane ride.

I tried to tell my friend Taradise this once while we were co-habiting a hotel room for work. "See all my new eyebrow hairs?" I said trying to sway her opinion after my long flight. But she didn't believe me. So I wavered in my theory. "Maybe it's just the extra bright lights in the bathroom that are just showing more?" I said. "Yeah, that has to be it" she assured me.

But in my heart of hearts I knew that I was on to something. So on my recent trip to the Outer Banks I shared my theory once again with my two sister-in-laws. I told them to go ahead and test it for themselves on their way home.

Sure enough I received a text from 2nd sister on her way home to Hawaii that read "You're right. My leg hair did grow faster on the plane. Weird.".

Boo-yeah. I knew I was on to something. Now if I could only develop some sort of Nair for airplanes or better yet, an airplane hair-blocker that somehow works with the cabin pressure to suppress hair growth. Naturally they would sell it exclusively in the skymall catalog which is the best. Seriously. Hours of entertainment can be found amongst it's pages. Never before have I wanted to buy SO much equipment to spy on people than when I'm perusing the skymall catalog. I also really want to get steps for the pet I don't have to be able to get on my bed, the inflatable lap pillow for long flights, a facial exerciser and the cushy gel things that wrap around your calves that kind of look like a boot. Oh, and if I had a pool I would totally buy those floating solar panels that look like blankets to keep it warm.

I want so many things...


3 comments:

Mike Lau said...

You should try using a hyperbolic chamber and see if it does indeed support your theory that due to the lower air pressure your hair grows faster. In theory the opposite should work the higher air pressure making the hair grow slower.

Then again if this was due to air pressure your hair would have grown faster in Utah than it does now in Seattle.

Marge Bjork said...

i like when mike uses real science to investigate laquina theories.

tara said...

I do remember that. And it was weird.