jetsetgreen

Monday, December 17, 2007

Eternal Sunshine of my spotless mind

 Inspired by the shows I watch regularly I decided to have more of what I call "music moments".  You know, where one of the characters sits on their bed contemplating that days failures (seth cohen -OC), or sits alone outside at a restaurant table reliving the latest fight with their girlfriend/fiance (spencer - The Hills).  There are always great songs playing during these contemplative moments staring into the sun that really drive the sad/confused/repentive feelings home.  I know there is really no music playing while they sit and think, unless it's LC driving to LA for the first time in her car and in that case I'm sure she was playing music on the stereo, but I like it.  So I decided to sit/lay more while listening to music and just think.  So far my favorite is laying on my bed with my feet up on the wall staring at the ceiling.  It's relaxing and Mo told me her doctor said putting your feet up helps ward of varicose veins - two birds with one stone!  Today was such a beautiful day that I decided to take my music moment outside and sit on the porch with my knees up.  The sun was shining, it was actually warm and our adoptive dog Keiko came and sat next to me.  Together we contemplated who knows what while I gave him a mohawk and then steps and then finally a heart with L+K inside on his fur.  It was nice to have a moment with something warm next to me that can't talk.  Together we soaked up the sun to Ne-Yo's "sexy love", Madonna's "sorry" and Lupe Fiasco's "superstar".  After, I had a music moment on my bed curled up into the fetal position we end each yoga session with on my right side (unless you are pregnant, and then on your left side) which quickly turned into a music....nap.  Another good option is to sit in an area of people, put your headphones in and just think to your hearts content about whatever you want while watching people walk by.  They'll see your furrowed brow, intense stare and perhaps even the teeth gripping your lower lip and know you are really feeling.......something.  Trust me, they'll be jealous.  Sometimes I have to skip a song in the rotation because it doesn't quite fit the moment, but I am slowly building the soundtrack to my life and it - is - GOOD. 

6 comments:

tara said...

I do it everyday walking to and from campus/work. I smile to myself knowing that I am walking to the beat, and ready for someone to try and grab my purse so I can give them a right hook to the jaw, thanks to my "Pump You UP" playlist...but nobody else knows I am thinking that as I strut along. It's like my own little secret that only other campus-isolationists can begin to guess at.

rich said...

Ah man, I have to say although I fill my life with music almost every minute of the day (it's an addiction, I'm working on stopping) I really don't stop often enough to just lay and wallow. I don't want to get too sad but just a little me time.

Laquina said...

I'm not sad when I do it, quite the opposite actually.
I find it quite restorative. There is usually no wallowing either, just nothing. Just still air and music in my ears.....and bed-head.

jessica said...

I like to think of this activity as music meditation.

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marge Bjork said...

I always think of the Cat Power song "I've lived in bars and danced on tables" when I have to throw food away at the grill.