jetsetgreen

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Fruit cake shmute cake

I had some Panettone today - ok, I had some Panettone 3 times today. I couldn't help it, it's just so delicious. For those of you not in the know Panettone is a cake like holiday bread from Italy with candied fruit zests, raisins and is sometimes glazed or not. You might be thinking that it sounds a little like fruitcake, and you would be wrong. It is soooo much more than that. It begins with the name: Panettone. It sounds like an Italian metal band and that is exactly what it is; The metal band of breads. See you have sourdough, the Bryan Adams of breads, which has a little kick to it but is still just basically white bread. There is pumpernickel, the Snoop Dogg of bread, that is really good but you can only serve at specific functions - it doesn't go with everything. Next is rye bread, the Hall & Oates of breads, that is undeniably good but you have to be in the right mood for it. We all know white bread, the Fred Durst of bread, that is alright but eventually you just forget about it for better varieties. Finally we have wheat bread, The Justin Timberlake of breads, healthy, good for you but if not cooked correctly can be hard to swallow sometimes. But Panettone is only around for the Holidays and must be consumed in large quantities while available - just like Pantera or Metallica, one song is never enough while it's on. You see, Panettone has hidden surprises inside just like Black Sabbath - I think it could even bite the head off a live bat if necessary. It looks great outside just like KISS and it comes in creative packaging like AC/DC. So go eat some and you'll see just what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back for fourths!

12 comments:

i i eee said...

Where's the best best place to find some panettone?

Ever since my reigning queen supreme rocker of guitar hero, I could really use a little metal bread in my life.

Laquina said...

Dear reader:
I am an admitted panettone mooch and because of this I have never bought one myself. I believe that the panettone I devoured on someone else's dime was actually from TJ Maxx, go figure. Other than that I know they sell them during the holidays at Ottavios Ristorante Italiano in Provo. If you buy from the restaurant you could also say you had been involved in money laundering once.....it is so chic nowadays. One thing is for sure, you will not find them at Pier 1.
Happy Holiday eating!

Marge Bjork said...

I think you have sour dough all wrong.

Laquina said...

Prove it marge.

Josh said...

You better not have much more. All those carbs will make it so you can't fit into those... shoes.

Marge Bjork said...

one: I would like to add to your list the bagel. that would be the mattisyahoo.

two: so far my defense is that for me sour dough is more like The Smiths, a staple.
maybe I will research this some more and present my findings on monday.

Laquina said...

You are walking a thin line Marge. You just butchered Matisyahu's name by adding 'yahoo' to it which clearly shows how you really feel about him and his Jewishness. And what about the Bagel? Is it like Matisyahu in that it doesn't really belong in its environment but that you still like it until you've had it too many times in a row?
Tag, you're it.

Marge Bjork said...

I was thinking both mattisyahu and bagels are jewish and slightly urban. I never get sick of bagels. I think my previous spelling of mattisyahu means I've never paid attention to how he spells his name. You of all people should know, I love a little jewishness for example bagels and noses.

kiki said...

So what you're saying is Snoop Dogg is brown.

kiki said...

I bought a delicious Stollen from Trader Joe's last weekend. It's delicious.

Momoko Photography said...

I'm totally buying it now. It's at Whole Foods, if you live outside of Utah

rich said...

When I was fresh off my mission, I ate nothing but bagels. Matisyahu is not so much a bagel as he is unleavened bread. For me bagels = David Bowie: androgynous.